The Medical Center is both a medical complex and a neighborhood, spanning over 1,345 acres.
As the largest medical complex in the world, it boasts topnotch facilities for basic science, translational research and patient care. It is visited by eight million patients a year and provides employment to more than 106,000 people.
As a neighborhood, the Med Center lies just three miles from downtown Houston and has more to offer than just exceptional healthcare and career opportunities in life sciences. Its residents have access to excellent public schools, a variety of real estate choices and a plethora of entertainment options.
Efficient public transport comes in the form of three METRORail Red Line stations, while direct access to major roadways like the Southwest Freeway and Loop 610 makes it easy to get around.
Public schools in the Med Center were named among the best in Texas and are under the domain of the Houston Independent School District. School options include:
- Roberts Elementary School
- Poe Elementary School
- Pin Oak Middle School
- Lanier Middle School
- Pershing Middle School
- Lamar High School
- DeBakey High School
- High School for the Visual and Performing Arts
- Carnegie Vanguard
- Baylor College of Medicine
- HCC Coleman College for Health Sciences
- UT Health School of Nursing
- Texas Woman’s University Institute of Health Sciences
- The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
- The University of Texas Medical School at Houston
- Rice University
The Med Center’s housing market is one of the best performing markets among Houston’s neighborhoods over a one, five and 10-year period.
The housing stock includes single family older and new construction homes, luxury townhomes and condos in gated communities and apartment communities suitable for students or temporary university or Med Center employees or students.
Single-family homes range from charming two-bedroom bungalows to large, newly constructed homes. Lot sizes average around 6,500 square feet.
At a glance
The Med Center’s strategic location brings residents close to numerous indoor and outdoor attractions.
- The Houston Zoo has over 6,000 animals in its care. About two million visitors come every year for a chance to feed the giraffes or catch a glimpse of the Koolookamba, a purported chimpanzee-gorilla hybrid.
- Hermann Park is filled with landscaped plazas, lush gardens, glimmering reflection pools and an amphitheater, making it perfect for a day or evening outing.
- With over 2.5 million square feet of retail space, the Houston Galleria shopping mall is minutes away and features a wide selection of shops and restaurants. Anchor stores include Macy’s, Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus.
- Ice at Galleria, a skating rink inside Houston Galleria Shopping Mall, is open seven days a week.
- The nearby Museum District gives Med Center residents access to over 19 museums, including the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston and the Museum of Fine Arts.
- NRG Park, which includes the NRG Stadium and grounds, plays host to concerts, trade shows, exhibitions, and the renowned Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.
- The Fresh Bistro and Coffee Corner at the Texas Children’s Pavilion for Women was named the best cafeteria in the Med Center by Houstonia Magazine. The sweet potato fries and burgers are crowd favorites.
- Cliff’s Grill serves a wide variety of juicy burgers, such as mushroom Swiss, black bean and buffalo.
Are you considering moving to Medical Center? Feel free to call 713-572-0824 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.